Total Pageviews

Friday 22 August 2014

British Railways type 37. Yes I know it's a Diesel

I feel this locomotive is worth of mention as it was
the harbinger of the end of steam on BR. I well
the last holiday in Torquay when arriving at the
station we found a diesel was hauling the
 Devonian
 
 
As young boys we actually found the concept not
too disturbing and indeed were very curious of this
new type of traction.
The one above is based at the Keighley and Worth
Valley Railway.
 
 
There were a great many sub classes (some nine I
believe) and of the 300+ engines produced some
are still in mainline service over 50 years since
class was introduced.
I well remember we boys referred to them a little
un-reverentially as 'tractors'. Listening to the one
above will give you a clue why. They were of
course diesel electric with the diesel engine
driving a generator to produce power for the
electric driving motors.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment