Total Pageviews

Friday 29 January 2016

Crofts Engineers Bradford and my love of all things Steam

In my own apprenticeship days the long workshops
seen in the pictures by the GNR Leeds-Ardsley line
contained the fitting and machining shops for the
heavy transmission equipment built by the successors
of Mess'rs Newton Bean & Mitchell, Mess'rs Crofts
Engineers and Co


Above you see the fabrication dept where large gear
box cases were fabricated before going for machining


Above and below the general fitting shop where 
worm wheel and helical gears were built for a 
multitude of purpose


Below can be seen the use of some of the worm 
and wheel gears manufactured on the Dudley 
Hill site


These I believe were powering malting drums at
a distillery in Scotland.

So now you know what went on those works next 
to the GNR line and my own association and 
eventual success, gaining my second and chief
engineers qualifications and when my engineering 
career ended with redundancy I was ideally placed
to study for a degree and taught mathematics 
and physics to would be future engineers. 
I do feel very sad these days that the
opportunities afforded me, albeit with 
great patience and understanding is not readily
available to the young men and women of today where
it seems everything has to be done and achieved between the 
ages of five and eighteen. My path has been one of lifelong learning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment