Total Pageviews

Thursday, 21 July 2011

Ivat GNR C2 LNER C12 O 4 4 tank engines

One of the most common locos found on the Queensbury lines was Ivats C12. Built specifically for the GNR's northern suburban lives many lived on into BR days and did sterling work with passenger and freight.

One of the first locomotive types introduced by Ivatt, the first batch of ten GNR C2 (LNER C12) locomotives were built in 1898 for hauling suburban services in the West Riding. These were very successful, and a further fifty were built to operate London suburban services to replace the older and smaller Stirling 0-4-4Ts (LNER Classes G1 and G2). The total count of sixty C12s were built in six batches of ten each, between 1898 and 1907.
Initially, the design incorporated a rigid 'translated' trailing axle with outside plate springs. The first locomotive No. 1009, was fitted with this feature, but it does not appear to have been very successful. No. 1010 may have also been initially fitted with the translated axle, but all of the other C12s were built with a more conventional radial truck design. It is thought that No. 1009 was converted to use the radial truck design, but no official records exist to confirm this.
The C12's boiler was of the same standard Ivatt domed type which was used on the D4, E1,J4, and J50 classes. The working pressure varied over time between 170psi and 175psi.
The fifty C12s built for London services were initially fitted with condensing gear for operating the Metropolitan Widened Lines. The first locomotives had a condenser pipe leaving the smokebox just above the boiler handrails and continuing to the front of the water tank in a continuous line. This was brass with a cast iron elbow into the tank. Later locomotives had the entire pipe made of cast iron, and extended down to the bottom of the smokebox (see picture). This arrangement became the standard for all condensers fitted to Great Northern (GN) locomotives.
The London suburban traffic was growing rapidly at the turn of the century, and a large 0-8-2T (LNER Class R1) was introduced in 1903 to replace the C12s on the heaviest trains. These were not a great success and in 1907 they were replaced by an 0-6-2T (LNER Class N1) design for the heavier services, with the C12s continuing to haul the lighter services.

Cylinders (x2):(inside)18x26in.
Motion:Stephenson (slide valves)
Boiler:Max. Diameter:4ft 5in
Diagram No.:11
Heating Surface:Total:1119 sq.ft.
Firebox:103 sq.ft.
Tubes:1016 sq.ft. (213x 1.75in)
Grate Area:16.25 sq.ft.
Wheels:Leading:3ft 8in
Coupled:5ft 8in
Trailing:3ft 8in
Tractive Effort:(@ 85%)17,900lb
Total Wheelbase:27ft 3in
Engine Weight:(full)62 tons 6cwt
Max. Axle Load:18 tons
Coal Capacity:2 tons 5cwt
Water Capacity:1350 gallons

No comments:

Post a Comment