Total Pageviews

Sunday 20 July 2014

USA S160 now under restoration

Again I express my thanks to the Railways I visit
for the help and support they give me in allowing
me to view and photograph their work. I am an
engineer myself and know the care which must
be taken when allowing such visits, I am most
grateful in this case to the Churnet Valley Team
at the works in Cheddleton.
 
 
Here the tender of this USA S160 which was
repatriated from China. Much work was needed
on corroded parts of the tender and the baffles
inside.

 
The bogie sets are now completed and my guide
had that morning been fitting the feed wicks to the
Axle boxes.

 
Those familiar box frames so typical of American
locomotive design.


 
The cylinder casting

 
The boiler now at an advanced stage of reconstruction

 
As can be seen much work was needed.
The Churnet Valley team are hoping
for a completion date some time in
February, so hopefully we might see
it in steam by the beginning of next years
operating season.
 
Visit them at

No comments:

Post a Comment